Kallas: The European Union needs €5 billion to supply Kyiv with two million shells

Kallas: The European Union needs €5 billion to supply Kyiv with two million shells

European Union foreign policy chief Kaya Kallas expressed confidence that the European Union will be able to supply Kyiv with two million shells by 2025, but this will require €5 billion.

"Zelensky said he needs two million shells - that's €5 billion," she said following an informal meeting of defense ministers from several EU countries in Poland.

She added, "We discussed what various countries are providing. Some countries do not want to include this aid in the Czech initiative (for joint procurement for Ukraine), but that does not matter. What is important is that these shells arrive as quickly as possible."

Kallas had previously stated that the European Union had already received 50% of the two million shells promised to Ukraine by 2025.

In the same context, NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte affirmed that NATO countries' support for Ukraine will enable it to continue fighting as long as it continues.

"I thank [US President] Donald Trump, and I thank you and your team for overcoming the deadlock, and with our support, we are moving towards a lasting peace," Rutte said during a press conference with US Secretary of State Marco Rubio in Brussels. "Europeans are stepping up their efforts by providing significant military support to Ukraine. The latest figures show that allies have provided more than $20 billion in the first three months to ensure that Ukraine can continue fighting as long as it continues."

For his part, the US Secretary of State affirmed that Trump supports NATO, explaining that the United States will remain a member of the alliance. Rubio added, "President Donald Trump is not against NATO, but rather against a NATO that lacks the capacity to fulfill its obligations to member states. No one expects this to happen in a year or two, but the path to achieving it must be realistic."

In late February, Rutte called on European countries to support Kyiv militarily and offer effective proposals for negotiations, including security guarantees, to achieve peace in Ukraine.

Since the launch of the special military operation in Ukraine on February 24, 2022, Western countries have sought, through the material, military, and political support they provide to Kyiv, to obstruct the objectives of the Russian special military operation in Ukraine. However, Moscow has emphasized on more than one occasion that military operations in Donbas will not cease until all assigned tasks are achieved.

Russian President Vladimir Putin stressed that Russia does not plan to occupy Ukrainian territory, explaining that Russia's goal is to protect people who have been subjected to persecution and genocide by the Kiev regime for eight years.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Top Offers